May 20th is Food Revolution Day. Let’s face it, the industrial food system has taken over and replaced our home cooked, family shared meals and resulted in a nation that has increased in size and family ties that have become devalued. The majority of our meals are eaten “on the go” instead of in our own kitchens. The “Food Revolution” founder and food expert, Jamie Oliver has shown us how we have raised a generation of individuals who cannot recognize a single vegetable or fruit, and don’t know how to cook. If we want healthy bodies, we must put the most nutritious foods in them – that’s real, whole, local, fresh, unprocessed, and chemical/hormone/antibiotic-free foods. We need to bring back our family dinners in order to teach our children and future generations how to maintain their health, connect, build security, safety and social skills.
Why cooking at home is better for you:
- Studies indicate that eating out led to at least a 50 percent increase in calories consumed, sodium and total fat intake.
- Children who eat home-cooked meals more frequently were less likely to be overweight. Family meals tend to contain more vegetables and less fried food, soda, and trans fat.
- Eating at home allows you to have the control of the food you cook and the volume you consume.
- Teens of families who eat together are less likely to use alcohol, drugs, and cigarettes AND tend to get better grades (according to a survey by the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University).
- Research shows that regular family dinners protect girls from bulimia, anorexia, and diet pills.
- Families that eat together frequently have higher intake of health-promoting nutrients such as calcium, fiber, iron, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin C, and vitamin E
- Preparing your own meals gives you the ability to exercise portion control.
- Cooking for yourself or your family gives you the control to avoid food allergens.
- Cooking healthy meals at home is a lot more cost-effective. This will not only improve your finances, but also reduce your stress levels!