Now that we’ve conveyed many of the health benefits of pumpkin in a previous blog, we’d like to carry on with this warm autumnal theme and share with you our favorite healthy pumpkin seed butter bar recipe for the season. These bars are not only delicious, but they contain an abundance of healthy protein and fat to maintain optimal blood sugar levels throughout the day. Whey-based, vanilla flavored protein powders sweetened with a little bit of stevia work well with this recipe (check out Jay Robb’s brand or Dr. Mercola’s Miracle Whey). If you prefer a non-dairy product, try Nutiva brand of vanilla hemp protein powder.
Healthy Pumpkin Seed Butter Bars
1 cup coconut oil, melted
1 cup pumpkin seed butter (room temperature)
½ cup protein powder
1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
½ cup dried cranberries
1 cup pecan pieces
½ cup cacao nibs
1 teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon sea salt
- In a medium-sized bowl, blend coconut oil, pumpkin seed butter, and protein powder until smooth. Add remaining ingredients and stir until blended.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper (make sure paper covers the sides of pan, too).
- Pour batter in pan (the batter must not touch the pan itself, just the parchment paper).
- Cover and refrigerate for approximately 3 hours or until firm.
- Use spatula to lift the bars off the baking sheet, keeping the parchment paper underneath and cut into squares to serve.
- Store bars in frig or coconut oil in bar will melt.
photo credit: <a href=”https://www.flickr.com/photos/jow/298810421/”>JillWillRun</a> via <a href=”http://photopin.com”>photopin</a> <a href=”http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.0/”>cc</a>