The Easter Bunny will soon be here munching on his delicious and nutritious carrots! Carrots are one of the most common and favorite vegetables in the world. They are a root vegetable that has been cultivated for hundreds of years. Carrots come in a variety of colors, and are now grown all over, although their native roots are in Asia. The best part is these root veggies are jam-packed with many nutrients!
The health benefits of carrots are plentiful:
- Rich source of the powerful antioxidant, beta-carotene, which helps maintain healthy skin and more
- Good source of potassium, which can help maintain healthy sodium levels in the body, helping to reduce elevated blood pressure
- Contain many beneficial phytochemicals, including falcarinol, which may reduce the risk of colon cancer and help promote overall colon health
- Rich in carotenoids to help regulate blood sugar levels
- High in soluble fiber, which reduces cholesterol and prevent heart disease
- Carrots are also rich in Vitamin C, Vitamin K, Vitamin B8, pantothenic acid, folate, iron, copper, and manganese
Carrot Apple Ginger Smoothie
2 carrots (scrubbed and cut into chunkd)
1 apple (cored and sliced into quarters)
1 handful fresh spinach leaves
1 lemon (juiced)
1 inch ginger (peeled)
2 Tbs hemp seeds
½ tso ground cinnamon
1 cup water
- Place all ingredients into a high-speed blender with one cup water
- Blend on high speed until smooth.
- Add more water to thin smoothie if desired.