Tomorrow is Cinco de Mayo, a celebration that commemorates the Mexican army’s 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican war. On this day in the United States, we share in the Mexican culture with delicious food! Try this muy delicioso healthy gluten-free recipe from “Gluten Free and More”. It’s fiesta time!
By Mary Capone
Lightly battered in potato starch, lime juice and roasted spices, these crowd-pleasing tacos can be made quickly. A delicious way to celebrate Cinco de Mayo, they’re great with either chicken or tilapia, if fish is tolerated.
2 whole chicken breasts, boneless, skinless,
or 4-6 tilapia fillets, about 1 pound
2 teaspoons chili powder
½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon Mexican oregano or regular
¼ teaspoon ground cloves
¼ teaspoon allspice
½ cup potato starch
1 lime, juiced
2 tablespoons coconut or olive oil, for sautéing
10 gluten-free tortillas
- Rinse chicken or fish and pat dry.
- In a small sauté pan, add chili powder, cinnamon, oregano, clove and allspice to pan. Roast spices over medium heat until they begin to have a strong fragrance, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a medium-size bowl, blend potato starch with roasted spices.
- In separate bowl, place lime juice. Dip chicken pieces or fillets in lime juice and then in starch/spice mixture.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté fillets for 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Do not overcrowd the pan. For blackened chicken, cook 5 to 7 minutes per side or until meat is firm to touch. Remove from pan and serve with warm tortillas and your favorite toppings.
Each taco with corn tortilla contains 171 calories, 4g total fat, 3g saturated fat, 0g trans fat, 22mg cholesterol, 30mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate, 0g fiber, 11g protein.