Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with this healthy, dairy-free version of the original shamrock shake!
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/2 avocado
- 1 handful of fresh mint leaves, to taste
- ½ cup unsweetened almond or coconut milk yogurt
- ½ cup ice
- ½ teaspoon organic vanilla extract
- maple syrup, local raw honey or stevia to taste (optional)
- 1 Tablespoon cacao nibs (for garnish)
Add all ingredients (except cacao nibs) to blender and blend to desired consistency. Sprinkle cacao nibs on top. If you save a few mint leaves, you can garnish with those, too. Delish!
March is National Nutrition Month, which is an opportunity for all of us to focus on eating properly and develop better food habits, in general. So if you didn’t follow through on any of your dietary New Year’s resolutions, now is the time to regroup!
Here are some helpful tips to consider when implementing an optimal eating plan:
- Focus your diet on whole, unprocessed foods (organic vegetables, grass-fed meats, raw dairy, nuts, etc.) from healthy, sustainable, local sources.
- Include raw foods in your diet (raw veggie salads, raw nuts and seeds, etc.).
- Avoid sugars (especially fructose). When consumed in excess, sugar acts as a toxin and promotes multiple disease processes in your body, including insulin resistance, a major cause of accelerated aging.
- Eat fermented foods – the fermenting process increases the amount of beneficial “good guys” in your gut, which are very important to boost overall immunity. […]
Lectins are a large class of carbohydrate-binding proteins found in all forms of life, including the human body. Dietary lectins are found in all foods, but only about 30% contain them in significant amounts. Humans are vulnerable to the toxicity of these lectins. Concentrated amounts can cause digestive issues and long-term health problems, including autoimmune disorders. The largest concentrations of lectins are found in grains and the legume family (including beans, soybeans and peanuts), although dairy, eggs, and plants in the nightshade family (like potatoes) also contain lectins and can be problematic for those individuals with autoimmune or digestive problems. These small compounds can begin to bio-accumulate in the body not only causing damage to the gut lining, but also negatively impacting hunger signals (meaning that you still may feel hungry after consuming an adequate amount of calories). It also doesn’t help that these are […]
Good news! Campbell’s, one of the largest food companies, announced it will officially support mandatory labeling of GMOs. Campbell’s also owns other popular brands including Pepperidge Farm, Prego, V8, and others – all of which will soon carry labels disclosing whether they contain ingredients made from genetically modified crops. In addition, Campbell’s will also withdraw from any coalitions of other food and chemical companies like Monsanto that oppose GMO labeling.
The world’s biggest soup maker broke ranks with peers and said late last Thursday it supported the establishment of federal legislation for a single mandatory labeling standard for GMO-derived foods and a national standard for non-GMO claims made on food packaging.
The agrochemical and biotech industry, including companies like Monsanto, DuPont, Dow AgroSciences, Bayer CropScience, BASF Plant Science and Syngenta, has for years fought against efforts to pass either U.S. state or federal laws that […]
This guacamole recipe is unique in that it has a sweet, nutty flavor from the combination of dried apricots and almonds. Try it with your favorite organic (or non-GMO) corn chips or raw veggies. So tasty!!!
- 1 1/4 pounds ripe avocados (about 3 medium), halved and pitted
- 1/2 cup dried apricots (about 10 to 15), small dice
- 1/2 medium jalapeño pepper or serrano chile, stemmed, seeded, and finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons almond butter
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice (from about 2 medium limes), plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1/4 cup toasted sliced almonds (optional)
- Scoop the flesh from the avocados into a large bowl. Mash with the back of a large fork or a potato masher to make a chunky paste.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the almonds and stir to combine. Taste and season […]