So you overindulged with one too many Halloween treats last night? Try this nutrient packed smoothie to help detoxify your body after excessive calorie consumption.
Detox Smoothie Recipe
- 3/4 cup frozen strawberries.
- 1/2 cup cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 1 medium-sized frozen banana, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup vanilla almond milk (or alternate milk)
- 1 1/2 cups spinach or kale, loosely packed, stems removed
- small handful of parsley
Add the almond milk to a high-power blender and toss the banana slices, kale, and parsley in. Blend on high. Add the strawberries and cucumber. Blend again until smooth. Add in more almond milk and/or ice for desired consistency.
Paleo Chocolate Sunbutter Bars
These bars are deliciously decadent and actually good for you!
(Makes 10 servings)
For the Sunbutter Dough
- 1 1/2 Cups sunbutter (sunflower seed butter)
- 1/3 Cup coconut flour
- 1 Cup blanched almond flour
- 1/2 Cup coconut sugar (may use stevia or xylitol for diabetics)
- 1/2 Tsp pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 Tsp organic cinnamon
- 1 Tsp vanilla
- 1-3 Tbsp light coconut cream
For the Chocolate
- 1-2 Cups 70% chocolate chunks
- 1/2 Cup light coconut cream
- 2 Tbsp raw cacao nibs (optional)
For the Sunbutter Dough
- Stir together all of the ingredients for the dough, except for the coconut cream. It should be fairly crumbly.
- Add the coconut cream, one tablespoon at a time, until the dough comes together to form a ball.
- Press the dough into a parchment lined 8×8 glass baking dish and […]
Super Green Power Smoothie
1 large handful roughly chopped spinach
1 frozen peeled banana, cut into several pieces
1 cup unsweetened coconut water
2 tablespoons almond butter
1 tablespoon flax oil
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree until completely uniform in color and all the bits of green are pulverized. Serve immediately.
Raw Kale Avocado Salad
Serve this salad alone as a super food meal or with cooked quinoa.
1 bunch curly kale, chopped (about 8 to 10 cups)
2 avocados, diced
1 cup sunflower seeds, soaked for 6 to 8 hours
3 to 4 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 to 2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
Chop the kale into small pieces and add it to a large bowl. In a smaller, separate bowl whisk together the […]
Food Day inspires Americans to change their diets and our food policies. Every October 24th, thousands of events all around the country bring Americans together to celebrate and enjoy real food and to push for improved food policies.
October 24th is a day to resolve to make changes in our own diets and to take action to solve food-related problems in our communities at the local, state, and national level. This year’s theme is “Toward a Greener Diet.”
Why Food Day?
The typical American diet is contributing to obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and other health problems. Those problems cost Americans more than $150 billion per year. Plus, a meat-heavy diet takes a terrible toll on the environment. Eating Real can save your own health and put our food system on a more humane, sustainable path.
The most important ingredient in Food Day […]